Monday, May 3, 2010

Treacle Pudding





The April 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Esther of The Lilac Kitchen. She challenged everyone to make a traditional British pudding using, if possible, a very traditional British ingredient: suet.

As I may have mentioned before, my husband is a Brit. I was very excited to make him a traditional pudding! I've been putting it off because I wanted to get a proper pudding mold and this finally pushed me over the edge of buying a $10 bowl that could easily be replaced by something else. :)

It turned out great!! I even made the custard, had no idea how easy it would be. He greatly prefers the baked to steamed pudding. I could have messed something up with the steaming, as I've never done it before, but he said the baked was more like what he gets when we're in Britain.

The recipe for the preferred, baked, pudding was Tea & Symphony's Treacle Pudding:

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
A few drops of vanilla extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 heaping teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 cups Tate & Lyle Golden Syrup (a little extra will do no harm).

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, along with the vanilla.
With a spatula, fold in the flour and baking powder and mix until smooth.
Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter and flour a 10-inch round Bundt pan.
Pour the syrup into the pan, then spoon in the sponge batter, gently smoothing the top with a spatula.
Bake for about 30 minutes; the sponge should be golden on top.
Remove the pudding from the oven and let it cool for 2-3 minutes. Place a plate on top of the Bundt pan, then quickly but firmly turn the plate and pan upside down to release the cake onto the plate.. You may need to loosen the edges very slightly with a knife before you flip it.
Serve with hot custard.

HOT CUSTARD

3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 egg yolks

Heat cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat, whisk in egg yolks.

As I said, I used individual pudding molds. I put four tablespoons of syrup in the bottom of the mold and filled it to about an inch below the rim. The first one I baked for the recommended time and when I tumped it over the bottom inch was not baked. I put another in and baked it for 48 minutes and it came out just right. Don't know if it was my oven, that I used a ceramic mold rather than a tin bundt cake, or what.

No comments:

Post a Comment